Bio-available curcumin formulations for pharmaceutical and nutraceutical applications
NOTE: Facility for online Application for transfer of technology would be available soon...
Curcumin is the major active ingredient in turmeric which is known in India as a medicinal herb since ancient times. It is known to possess excellent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-arthritic activities. Curcumin has been found to be safe and nontoxic for humans. The following four formulations are available for transfer of technologies-
- Curcumin loaded alginate beads
- Curcumin loaded in Gelatin
- Curcumin loaded PEG-ylated liposomes
- Curcumin loaded nasal drop concentrate
Improved water solubility and bioavailability of the active ingredient are two major advantages of these formulations.
Curcumin is the major active ingredient in turmeric which is known in India as a medicinal herb since ancient times. It is known to possess excellent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-arthritic activities. Four different formulations have been developed with curcumin as a key ingredient.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE TECHNOLOGY
- Four different technologies based on formulations with curcumin as biosoluble, active ingredient are available.
- Curcumin loaded alginate beads, Curcumin loaded in Gelatin, Curcumin loaded.
- PEG-ylated liposomes and Curcumin loaded nasal drop concentrate are the formulations included in this transfer of technology.
- Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-arthritic activities of curcumin are available in different forms for administration
- Improved water solubility
- Efficient delivery vehicles for biosoluble curcumin
- Can be directly used development of formulations.
- Can be used for development of nutraceuticals and other pharmaceutical agents.
- Can be used in food industry.
Curcumin is the major active ingredient in turmeric (Curcuma longa) rhizome which is known in India as a medicinal herb since ancient times. It is a hydrophobic polyphenol, with a variety of pharmacological properties. It is one of the highly researched molecules with excellent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-arthritic activities. Curcumin has been found to be safe and nontoxic for humans, even in grams quantities. In spite of such excellent properties, there is a limitation in its application due to poor bioavailability and aqueous solubility. To overcome these problems, several new formulations based on natural proteins, amphiphiles and carbohydrates are prepared that have ability to improve water solubility and work as efficient delivery vehicle of curcumin. These formulations would find application in pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, functional food and other related areas. A few formulations for which technical know-how has been developed are illustrated in brief.
Curcumin loaded alginate beads (Algi-CURe)
Alginate is a carbohydrate based polymer, having of forming gels in presence of specific metal ions. During the gelation process, hydrophobic cavities are created that can efficiently trap curcumin. Using special laboratory methods the curcumin loaded gels can be converted to uniformly loaded spheres of size ranging from micron to nanometers. These curcumin loaded beads can be used directly or in association with other excipients in the nutraceutical formulation. Around 80-100 mg of curcumin loading is achieved per gram of dry beads.
Curcumin loaded in Gelatin (Gel-CURe)
Gelatin is an animal protein formed by partial hydrolysis of collagen, with a long history of safe use in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, as well as food products thus being considered a GRAS material by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Using novel physical laboratory methods, a nano gelatin formulation of size < 150 nm has been prepared that provide hydrophobic pockets to trap curcumin. These nanogels can be used as lyophilized powders, lozenges or pastilles. Once dissolved in water they release bioavailable liposomal curcumin. Approximately 30 mg of curcumin can be loaded per gram of gelatin.
Curcumin loaded PEGylated liposomes (Lipo-CURe)
PEG coated vesicles (liposomes) are important vehicles for the passive targeting of anticancer drugs. PEGylated liposomes were prepared using co-assembly of biocompatible and cost effective ingredients. The structure of the aggregates can be tuned from micelles to rod-like micelles or vesicles and size can be controlled from 50 to 300 nm. About 22 mg of curcumin can be loaded per gram of the excipients. The developed formulation show pH dependant sustained release of curcumin from PEGylated liposome. The product can be reconstituted for pharmaceutical applications.
Curcumin loaded nasal drop concentrate (CUReSol-ND)
Nasal drop formulations of curcumin were prepared using biocompatible amphiphiles with size less than 50nm. Curcumin loading efficiency of 50mg/ml has been achieved in the formulation. The concentrate can be diluted to any extent without phase separation or leaching out of the active ingredient. The intranasal pathway is a non-invasive alternative to bypass blood-brain barrier and limit systemic side effects. The optical clarity of the formulation is advantageous for ocular delivery as well.
- Theses formulations provide efficient delivery of curcumin employing GRAS category cost effective ingredients.
- The aqueous solubility and bioavailability of curcumin is increased in theses formulation.
- Pharmacological half life of curcumin in these formulations is significantly increased as compared to other solution forms.
- These formulations can be used in pharmaceutical products, nutraceuticals and cosmetics.
- All the raw materials required are available in the local market.
Major Equipments for large scale production
- Automatic liquid dispensing unit
- Coating unit
- Stirrer cum heater
- Spray Drier.
- Factory shed of 1500 sq. ft. area with demineralised water facilities.
- Three phase power connection.
- Minimum two operators and two formulators are required for preparation. Actual manpower would depend on production capacity.
NOTE:Facility for online Application for transfer of technology would be available soon...
|SR NO.||COUNTRY NAME||PATENT NUMBER|
|No Data Found.|
|SR NO.||NAME||STANDARD NUMBER||LOGO|
|No Data Found.|
General License Fee : ₹ 340,000.00 (Three Lakh Forty Thousand)
General Royalty : 0%